View Single Post
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 19:13   #5
V70T Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster View Post
Hi, V70 Jeff, Congratulations on choosing a Volvo-I'm sure you will find it will be an excellent towcar. My 2000 Phase 2 V70 is fitted with a Towsure towbar which bolts directley in to pre-drilled and tapped holes & did not entail any bumper cutting.I'm sure that a Witter bar would fit just as well. As for fixed or detatchable bars, it's personal choice-I chose fixed as it affords some protection to the bumper when reversing (unless you have the luxury of reversing sensors!) Go for detatchable if you want to see less of the towball & sockets. I found that Grayston spring assistors are very effective in overcoming the softness of the rear suspension when towing (your car may already have 'Nivomat' Volvo shockers, in which case you won't need any additional 'helpers') My caravan is an Elddis,with a MIRO of 1385kg.
Hope this is of help- Enjoy your car-and caravanning!
Thanks for that, good info. To be honest, its the best car I've ever owned and I am a complete petrol head. My 8yr old son said this morning "its like a dream come true, I never thought we would have such a nice car. Its really comfy and looks cool" - Kids are honest so that'll do for me.

Is the Towsure towbar a DIY job with some form of electric plug ready and waiting or do I have to break into the existing wiring? Will have a look for Nivomat labels on the shocks but doubt it will be there seen as the car doesn't have an existing towbar.

Will have a search for both these and the Grayston assistors - the cheapest wins. Good tip for the rear end, thanks for the heads up