View Single Post
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 10:31   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Agreed Dave. In an engine like Moomin's with knocking on 230,000km on the dial, I'm likely to need gap filler, not slippery juice!
That mileage isn't that high really Ash - my last 740 had about 235000 miles (380000km ish), my Jeep had 245000 (395000km ish) and both responded well - no need for gap filler to "beef" it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
At 0.5l that's just 10% of the oil capacity of the engine. Its not going to cause catastrophic failure and is unlikely to cause demonstrable wear under normal conditions.

I've used this trick to "cure" ticking hydraulic followers previously in early Mazda 12 valve engines (notorious for it). Again, high km's but no harm and did the trick.
When you also consider that some manufacturers including Rover and Volvo changed the service specs of certain manual gearboxes so ATF is used instead of engine oil then ATF can't be that bad as a lubricant anyway. I believe (though may be wrong) this was to improve cold shifting characteristics because of the better friction reducers in the ATF - i've heard/seen differing reports on how effective it is at that but the majority of reports have been favourable.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote