View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 16:57   #3
Lorribot

Talking Done this, have the t-shirt

Had the same thing on my 2010 XC60, watched the first video and tackled the task.

The issues I had were
1. The torx screws holding the motor in on both mirrors were coroded, on one two screw stripped under the lightest of force so I had to dismantle the whole miorror to get it on a work bench, where I was able to hammer an oversized torx bit in to create enough grip to get the screw out, I had to cut a slot on one in order to put it back in. The second mirror I was able to unscrew carefully. These screws are quite stiff, take your time.

2. On both mirrors the cables that provide power to the motor were coroded and just fell off the connectors when I looked at them, so had to replace with terminal blocks, there is quite a bit of room inside and soem spare cable so not a major issue.

For the spring clip you only need to bend up three tabs that are next to each other, this should loosen the spring clip enough to pop off, I used a small electrical type screwdriver to lever the tabs back with a twisting motion which seemed to do the job, don't over bend them, you'll get away with one broken tab. I used a pair of small pliers to bend the tabs back to shape.

I would recommend dismantling the whole mirror, the glass pops out quite easily (be careful with the connectors if you have heated mirrors, you can leave the mirror attached if you want, it will pass through the surround) and then just unscrew everything and ease the clips off. Also taking it off the car means you are less likely to scratch the door with all the dangly bits.

First one will take a round 30 minutes if no issues (I spent an hour), second one around 15.

I also manged to find the spider that had been living in there and rehome him.

Its weird how having folding mirrors again can bring so much joy and happiness.
Lorribot is offline   Reply With Quote