View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2021, 12:59   #12
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVSPete View Post
I was asked recently about a towbar on a 2020 V90 Cross Country similar to the one mentioned at the start of this thread. One of my usual towbar wiring suppliers said that their CanBus kits require no programming on this model and indeed shouldn't be programmed. They (Right Connections) said their kit monitors the trailer indicators and provides a "fast flash" if a fault on them occurs. The kit won't automatically switch off parking sensors on this model. Regarding Trailer Stabilty Assist things were not totally clear. Volvo's manuals say the system is included in the ESC (Electronic Stability Control) but I've not been able to find out if that system requires a signal from the trailer module to activate it or if it runs permanently in the background. If the TSA activates whilst towing to help stabilise a snaking caravan, the ESC skid symbol flashes.
I rang Volvo parts and they said that the genuine towing wiring was not available on its own, and could only be supplied as part of a full retractable towbar kit (£950 parts). This would then require a software download to activate its various functions (est.£100).
So until I know more on this particular model, I shall recommend the genuine Volvo parts.
That probably explains things, as the 13 pin socket is integrated into the towball Volvo do not do a separate trailer module and wiring. If this is true it is a bit short sighted as they will not sell the modules for fitting with 3rd party towing brackets and the dealers will not get the income from the software downloads.

More importantly their customers will not have the advantage of increased-safety due to the lack of the additional functionality.