View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:09   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post

At the same time the wholesaler who we were buying from a was operating a number of sites in the nearest town selling the same petrol at 2p per litre cheaper than we were buying for from them. Sales were very slow.

Surprise surprise the garage is no longer there
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! That wholesaler had a very short-sighted attitude, the villagers presumably only used your garage either as an emergency filling point or out of long-standing loyalty. However, if the wholesaler had given you the same deals as the nearby town sites got, first you'd probably still be operating the garage and second, the wholesaler would probably have made even more money.

The reason i say that is because i'm fairly certain, just from life experience, that many people who lived in that village would work in a different location to the nearest town. Doubtless there would be filling stations on their route to work or in the town they did work in meaning they would get their fuel there but if yours had been on a level with that of the local town, chances are more villagers would have used your garage.

Net result is improved fuel sales for you which in turn would have meant more fuel sales for your wholesaler.

On a side-note, the sensor-hose/bell arrangement - i've always been under the impression that it ran by pressurising the hose at a light pressure and a vehicle driving over it would cause a momentary spike in pressure, operating a pressure switch that rang the bell - is that correct?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: