Thread: 0W30 or 5W30
View Single Post
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 21:07   #155
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark purdz View Post
Hi having been a Uk Volvo Master Tec around 10 year ago. The oil that went into all volvos be it D5, T6 etc was Castrol Magnatec 5W30 With an ACEA of A1. Then castrol altered it to A5/B5 when Ford took over Volvo which suited Fords.
I think its all mumbo jumbo and under the counter handshakes between Castrol and Motor Manufacturers.
As for Castrol Magnatec and Edge. Castrol promoted magnatec as sticking to engine parts over night helping cold start conditions which sounds fab. Then they made Edge and Magnatec took a back seat, However the Edge oil is more exspensive haha. Make your own mind up guys !!!
In my opinion as far as Volvos are concerned if you live in somewhere thats cold most of the time 0w30 in Magnatec or Edge is better than 5W30, but for the UK and countries with similar temp types 5W30 is good enough, with an ACEA rating of A1 Or A5/B5. Especialy if most oils are changed annualy as i expect most older volvos are.
No disrespect but this also shows technicians aren't up to speed with oil (plus workshops can be lazy and use a 'one size fits all' approach)
Not getting at you yourself here, just in general.
Magnatec was pushed hard from release, but it wasnt superceded by edge, edge superceded slx in name only as it was still the same range. Magnatec is quality std use oil and slx/edge is premium performance use.
A1/B1 spec was superceded by A5/B5 and both are specs predominantly used by ford. When ford took over volvo the A3/B4 specs were replaced by A5/B5 where possible since ford have an obsession with tiny economy and emissions improvements over engine protection. Ford in the 90's were woeful for fuel economy and I believe this is why the switch to the then 10w30 (now 0w30 or 5w30) low hths A1/B1 spec (now A5/B5).
Even in main dealers, cost cutting and old fashioned knowledge/folklore/pub science can and often does get in the way of up to date and actual genuine knowledge.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote