View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:33   #704
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
While you're at this stage get a mini digger in and dig a pit. I did, and can't think how I managed without one, now.
It would have been easier to have not filled the ground in first! I've just raised the level by the best part of a meter.

My reason for not wanting a pit is partly for reasons of claustrophobia and the other for a design constraint for the workshop.

Where I am living is on the edge of an earthquake zone. "The Dutch" have been extracting a low calorific gas since the 1950s which apparently is causing shallow earthquakes. (This is a bit of a sore point in this region of the Netherlands and a bit like the should you smoke / should you not smoke argument there's a lot of "discussion" - better not to mention it really)

Anyway just in case, I've come up with a plan that is a non conventional structure that I can build by myself that also would enable me to jack things back into place in the event of something going wrong.

If I could have gotten a few ISO / shipping containers onto the site I would have probably have done something like that (all the rage at the moment - building things from shipping containers!) but that too would have meant shutting a fairly busy road and getting a mega crane to move them over houses (would cost very very very very silly silly silly money here)...

...so essentially I'm building a steel structure to replicate a shipping container on top of railway ballast and railway sleepers.

It will be a no concrete structure.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote