View Single Post
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 11:49   #6
EileanDubh

Default D5244T10 challenges

Hi All. My first post on this forum. After 25 years maintaining my Land Rover Disco 1, I am now back to my Volvo roots and learning to live with a transverse engine.
I can thoroughly endorse comments regarding the Haynes Manual. Severe shortcomings with regard to my 2012 V70 D5 mk3. However the Forum threads are really helpful. A seized alternator coupling at 72k miles has drawn me into a Timing/auxiliary belt change, plus all the tensioners and idler. Timing belt change is complete and I am now wondering if it is feasible to remove the alternator without breaking the coolant system integrity. It looks a very tight fit and I can see that the new Aux Tensioner is going to have to come off again to give access to the lower bolt.
By the way, when I came to remove the Timing Belt Cover, the 10mm threaded stud mentioned in the really helpful comments above, screwed out from the engine block and was no longer a problem.
Has anyone removed the Alternator from this engine in-situ? I'm wondering if perhaps I can remove the upper and lower alternator bolts and twist the alternator round to give access to the pulley (I have the extraction kit) without actually removing it from the engine compartment.
Any help and advice will be gratefully received.
EileanDubh is offline   Reply With Quote