View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 10:27   #11
Thejdizzler

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
That is not really correct. Cams with turbos are far more complex than cams for NA to get working right and the smaller the turbo the more critical cam choice is.

Typically a turbo cam will want a wider LSA as you want less intake/exhaust overlap. On a NA engine the overlap allows the intake charge to flush out the last of the exhaust charge. Turbo engine tend not to be able to use the overlap. With a small turbo that is restrictive to flow too much overlap with cause problems charge contamination making the engine lumpy. To make things worse in this aspect long duration cams have the low rpm improved by running higher compression, in turbo engines the compression really needs to stay low

I have tried a lot of cams and turbo combinations. The 13c can not use anything more than a A cam without drastically suffering low and mid range power.
Even with something like a T3 or 19t cams like the VX/VX3 do not make good low or mid range power.

Thanks for the info. It makes total sense what you are saying. At the risk of opening Pandora’s box. Is it worth just upgrading the turbo or should the turbo swap be combined with bigger injectors, FPR and 3” MAF? Also I was thinking of getting a 3” exhaust put on. Should I do this before or after a turbo swap? I’ve heard the turbo connector is different on the different turbos?
Thejdizzler is offline   Reply With Quote