View Single Post
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 13:03   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: My 360 GLT project car

Here's a few thoughts...

2) Bear in mind the limits of the transmission. Dave S quotes 250bhp as a guide limit, but of course its torque that's the killer, hence how Kev S can get away with having more grunt, as he only does rolling starts (and it's supposed to be 1st and 2nd that are weak anyway).

3) Sooooo....and LSD might not be the best idea, as Mark H pointed out a while back - better to let a wheel spin out than break your transmission.

4) Don't bother with forged pistons - the factory ones are good for big things (so I've heard). You want more or less as big an exhaust as you can get, as the turbo provides any backpressure you'll need.

5) Mark H is running VW Corrado G60 brakes on his, and I would imagine its scary! That's 280mm vented, slotted & drilled front disks, with slotted and drilled rear disks.

6) If you wanna replace the ECU, I'd get a Megasquirt - I think I've heard a figure of circa £200 notes floating around. You'll need it if you're turboing anyway. I'm not sure the stock ECU is the kind you can get 'superchips' for anyway, as its injection control (fuelling, etc) and not engine management, but I'm willing to be corrected on this.

I'm not sure how those alloys would look on a 360 (I'd have pictured them on some big 'bling' GMC van), but I'm more than willing to be proved wrong! There is a factory bodykit for the 300 - if anyone finds one in a scrappers, it'd be a major bargain.

Are you based in the UK, Lonewolf?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote