Thread: Brighter lights
View Single Post
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 16:47   #5
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Also try raising the beam...

Mark,

My S80 also came with the standard H7 halogen bulbs and I had the same concerns about the weak dipped beam. So I fitted enhanced output H7 bulbs like yours and they certainly helped. The other problem is that the dipped beam on many cars is set low in the factory to take account of all road conditions. Normally you can raise the dipped beam quite a lot without getting flashed or having MOT problems by using the height adjusters in the engine compartment. (I am talking about raising the standard beam height, not the occasional adjustment you can do when fully loaded by using the thumb wheel adjuster by the driver's light switch.)

There are several threads on this forum that describe the general method - by shining the headlights at a wall or garage door a few feet away from the front of a level car and marking the existing dipped beam etc. I do not have an XC60, but a quick search on Swedspeed.com shows that the height adjuster on the XC60 is a little white nylon hex head above each headlight. You car manual should confirm that. In my experience definitely worth doing.

Andy
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote