View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 21:54   #11
RM955I
Premier Member

I look at it this way:

1)I will (and do) keep on top of the maintenance in terms of belts and pulleys - I don't think anyone is suggesting that the guard is a substitute for that.

2)I regularly listen inside the engine bay for any for any obvious squeaks or grumbles as an early warning.

3)It is (reasonably widely) reported that the aux belt, if it lets go, will most likely take out the entire engine

4)£55 is not even a tank of juice these days

5) Can it do any harm? I think that working on the basis that if your aux belt lets go, you're most likely screwed anyhow, what's the worst that can happen?

In an ideal world, Volvo would recognise that the level of protection offered by the standard guard has been shown to be insufficient in the event of the aux belt letting go which does (if people are to be believed) happen even on fully maintained vehicles in accordance with the schedule...and as such they would provide a retro-fit part fully tested and approved.

In fairness to Element888 he is offering to source an item that some people, having weighted up the pros and cons, are prepared to pay for. As I said, the best solution would be a factory part which Volvo could no doubt destruction test, with the resources available to them: only their rationale for not doing so is understandable.

Motorcyclists regularly fit 'crash bungs' to bikes: they may save your bike from extensive fairing and frame damage; they may just bend the frame or snap an integral part of it...you pay your money and you take your choice.

Just my take on it.

Last edited by RM955I; Mar 6th, 2016 at 22:03.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post: