View Single Post
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 07:35   #19
green van man
Premier Member

I am interested and PM sent, thanks.

I see it as cheap insurance, hopefully I never need it, if I do need it I have done all I can to protect my engine wether it works or not.

Yes I change my belts and tensioners early in milage terms but this has been an issue for 4 years of production, can the post 2012 covers be fitted to the earlier engines? As that is currently the only Volvo route.

Someone has learned from bitter experience that even 5k old belts can snap, has organised a solution and offered it to other owners, I say tthank you very much.

Why there is a gap in the Volvo gaurd I do not know but it is that gap that a snapped serpentine or air con belt gets into and wraps around the cam belt, the solution is to make a cover to fill that gap which is what this is. It is disappointing that Volvo have not done something similar but for them to do so would mean them addmiting there could be a problem and given the number of D4/D5 engines out there and the potential for litigation they are staying shtum. A bit like BMW with the 3 series diesels turbos and swirl flaps, just visit a BMW forum for details, when I did the page count on these issues stood at 104 and that was 2 years ago.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote