Thread: Amazon: - Dipstick oil-seal?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 09:57   #1
HRA

Default Dipstick oil-seal?

I was checking the engine oil-level in my 2 litre Amazon last night in preparation for a drive down to Cornwall. I noticed (for the umpteenth time) that the dipstick doesn't really seem to positively "locate" in its tube when I push it right in; it just feels loose and "rattly". It's also very easy to rotate the dipstick when it's right in. On all the other cars I've had over the years (VW beetle, series landrover, MGB) the dipstick has felt much more "secure" and "positively located", and I've usually felt at least some resistance to rotation. I'm just wondering, should there perhaps be some sort of seal either around the dipstick itself or around the top of the dipstick tube? I can't see one in any of the drawings I can find online though...

Going on from that, although the engine doesn't seem to use or lose much oil the bottom of the block and the outside of the sump usually have a slight coating of oil. It may be purely coincidental, but it looks as if this could be coming from the dipstick tube. If I get chance this evening I'll check that the crank-case breather is clear and that the gauze in the oil filler cap (smooth top - no pipe fitting) isn't clogged. But again it makes me wonder if there shouldn't be a bit more of a seal around the dipstick. Does anyone have any thoughts?
HRA is offline   Reply With Quote