View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 17:43   #7
amazondean
amazondean

I bought the car with 140000 miles. It has done around 230000 miles now. That is 90000 miles. I paid £1100 for it. It is now worth around £1500.

I have replaced the discs and pads once myself. That cost around £300.

I have replaced the tyres a few times, once i bought a complete set of wheels and tyres off ebay and weighed mine in for scrap. That worked out to be free tyres!. I only put budget tyres on when i cannot find good second hand items. The last time i put a set of new tyres on it cost me £160 a set!

I only service the car every other year, as I don't do high mileage. in fact i remember leaving it about three years once, when i thought i was driving it into the ground. I always change the oil, oil filter and fuel filter and do the job myself. I buy oil in 20 litre drums. That will do nearly four changes. The air filter can usually be blown out with an air line. The fuel and oil filters are less than £30 for both.

I have replaced the rear Nivomat dampers once about 5 years ago. They were a good second hand pair that are still going strong and cost £100 a pair.

I have changed two or three bottom arms,, usually around £30 each.

A couple of track rod ends and tie rods. Around £10 each.

replaced a CV joint. £20 delivered would you believe.

I have replaced both top strut mounts. Around £20 i believe!

I replaced the turbo front flexi hose. Around £25

Replacement Wing sprayed with aerosol cans. £30

I have never bought a new battery.

The exhaust is still the original.

About two years ago I bought another 850 for £370 and stripped it of parts, my idea was to use some parts and sell some parts to get my money back. I used the drivers wing as mine was falling apart. I sprayed it myself with aerosol cans and lacquer used various parts like the head lining, leather seats, all interior trim (as mine was light grey and the new one was dark grey) The complete dashboard swapped, as the new one had a wood look to it. I took mine off the road for a few Months and swapped everything over. I even managed to use the rear bumper brackets.

I kept some spares but sold on the rest, including what was left of the scrap car to a guy on here as he wanted the auto box. I made nearly £1000 from the sale of everything, so i had the cam belt done and a new clutch out of the money i made as a precaution.

I am sure i have forgotten some things but you should get the gist of it. It can be done on the cheap if you so wish, and a bit of luck along the way.

The car took us to the south of France about four years ago without any issues, but it is just my car that i use for work and back now, so is heading for its run down!

Last edited by amazondean; Jan 19th, 2021 at 18:11.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote