View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 09:20   #48
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
What do you expect, this is an internet forum for car enthusiasts. You are going to get outspoken people from both sides, some with a vested interest, some with a single bad experience that they are going to go on and on and on and on about, and you are going to get some who delight in joining in with a subject they know very little about, and offering very little of substance apart from second hand opinions they've found from reading other forum posts.

In general most people with LPG just get on with it, they don't know or care enough about it to feel qualified to offer an opinion on a forum, so they don't get involved. You only get participation from the outliers, the ones who've had problems, or have had good reliable systems for many, many years (hence the higher proportion of older cars).

You're not going to see many people posting about LPG on brand new cars. Most people won't want to have any modifications done until after the warranty is over, and would you want to offer an opinion on a forum when you've only had experience of a conversion for a short amount of time (unless you've had a problem).

In the interest of full disclosure, I had an LPG system installed on my 850 in 2001. It is a basic mixer system, and has covered 250k on LPG in 18 years. It's had a few issues, but to my mind it's been no better or worse in reliability than the base car it is fitted to.

Would I do it again? If I was still doing high mileages, I'd much prefer an LPG converted petrol engine than a diesel. I mostly drive a diesel cars for work, and still find the old 850 a more refined driving experience.
Absolutely correct. You'll get the full range...

1) The likes of me, with an old car. Done right, doing real miles at LPG's sweet spot.
2) Someone with a lash-up conversion with every bad experience as a result.
3) Professionals with vested claims.
4) The pretenders that report on rumour.
5) And those you won't hear from. They quietly get on with it.

I can sum it up. In all other situations, particualry if you only drive a car 30,000 before getting rid, you're losing money in so many other places anyway, LPG is not for you. If you actaully drive or set to keep a car until you've done 100,000+ miles on LPG, and won't succumb to a new one out of vanity, and you do it properly, LPG works. And the longer you sustain this mantra, the sweeter it gets.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 4th, 2019 at 10:07.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: