View Single Post
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 01:56   #12
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMT5 View Post
My 2008 S60 T5 has done 214000 miles and the oil recommended in my Autodata manual states 0w/30, however I have used 5w/40 for the last eight years.

The engine is both quieter and uses no oil now as a result.

The interesting thing is that my 2.4 engine is pretty much the same as the late S60R models, yet the manual states 5w/40 for this model.

As I also have a stage 3 BSR tune I will continue to use 5w/40.

Also as an added precaution I fitted a magnetic sump plug as well. I fitted the same sump plug to my 2001 T4 as well.
As you have a stage 3 then perhaps the thicker oil is beneficial, more so with regards to the high temp thickness (/40), the 5 however is more suited to winter but what I have read is, that its better to stick to the manufacturers recommended, again, perhaps not for you due to the stage 3, i don't know but it says changing the w can make it harder starting as its too thick for the crankshaft as it will take more energy.

As mine is standard then I best stick with what Volvo recommends'ish

Whats the difference between Volov's own oil and say Castrol, is the latter better or is the Volvo a rebrand of say something like Total?

I would have bought some magnatec yesterday but for Amazon coming up short, its a struggle to find a B5 be it 0 or 5W

This page is a good read

Ive also noticed that these car parts places such as GSF etc, costs far more for bodgit oils than it does to buy decent oils from online, and I don't like the way it throws up this sludge when I put in my reg
DRIVETEC 0W30 VOLOMAX FS 5L Part No : 980AA2401 £74.14 inc VAT
or
COMMA 0W30 FS VOLTECH 1L Part No : 980AA2550 £18.53 inc VAT
That could be very misleading for the unsuspecting

They are the only 2 that are listed for mine on GSF lol

Last edited by Bashy; Jul 31st, 2020 at 02:20.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote