View Single Post
Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 23:05   #5
Martin Roberts (Guest)

Correction to the last message: 4 miles after STARTING. Staring is the state it reduced me repeatedly being stalled on the wrong side of the road with unexpectedly heavy steering. And 14 - 16 mpg.

The SU carbs are excellent, but if they are unbalanced the fuel consumption soars, and the cylinders get very different mixtures. Performance suffers.

If you are not familiar with balancing (forgive me if you are - your message didn't mention it), take the air cleaner(s) off, and arm yourself with a thin tube 15" - 20" long (not critical).
With the engine idling place one end of it at the bottom edge inside the mouth of each carb (where the piston is just starting to lift. The other end is for listening to.
Try to keep position etc the same for both carbs (doesn't make a huge difference). Adjust the carb linkages - these vary on different cars - so that you get the same noise of inrushing air on both.

Gunson make, or used to make, a device called the Carbalancer, basically a very simple depression guage. I didn't find it any easier to use. Personal preference I guess.

Of course, this may not be what was wrong with yours - just trying to help!
(-: