Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2020, 17:01   #1072
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've just taken the RB on about a 15 mile run and everything seems fine. The first part was open dual carriageway cruising at 70MPH, then I came back through town (traffic is returning, there was lots of waiting and ticking over in neutral).

The gauge only rose slightly in traffic and the electric fan never came on (it is about 24C today) - although I did test it with the switch on the dash, so that seems fine.

I can't help thinking the RB is running a bit rich - it is a bit lumpy at lower revs but smooths out higher. With a bike I'd be looking to fit a smaller pilot jet, but there is no option with the Pierburg. When it was off the car I noticed there was no anti-tamper cover over the CO adjustment screw at the bottom, so I wonder if someone has fiddled with it in the past. I'm tempted to try moving that adjuster in 1/8 turn at a time to see if that improves it.

Stay alert,

Alan
Ticking over in neutral?

Don't touch the mixture screw Alan!

First, check the choke control is returning all the way and the cable has some slack in it when the choke control is pushed fully home.

Next, check and if necessary, adjust the ignition timing. Despite your best efforts with the timing belt, it's possible the auxiliary shaft was a tooth out before and now it's correct, you may have slightly retarded ignition timing.

Once the ignition timing is correct, adjust the idle speed to where it should be. Then check the HBoF to see if they suggest a rudimentary method of adjusting the mixture - often this will involve backing off the idle air volume screw if fitted (as opposed to the throttle butterfly stop screw) and then adjusting the mixture for the smoothest, fastest idle and either resetting the idle speed or turning the mixture screw a little one way or t'other before resetting the idle speed.

My first thoughts would be ignition timing though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: