View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2020, 21:20   #1074
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Ticking over in neutral?

Don't touch the mixture screw Alan!

First, check the choke control is returning all the way and the cable has some slack in it when the choke control is pushed fully home.

Next, check and if necessary, adjust the ignition timing. Despite your best efforts with the timing belt, it's possible the auxiliary shaft was a tooth out before and now it's correct, you may have slightly retarded ignition timing.

Once the ignition timing is correct, adjust the idle speed to where it should be. Then check the HBoF to see if they suggest a rudimentary method of adjusting the mixture - often this will involve backing off the idle air volume screw if fitted (as opposed to the throttle butterfly stop screw) and then adjusting the mixture for the smoothest, fastest idle and either resetting the idle speed or turning the mixture screw a little one way or t'other before resetting the idle speed.

My first thoughts would be ignition timing though.
Thanks Dave,

Timing is a good place to tart, I was thinking I might check it tomorrow. It is a pretty quick job as long as I can find somewhere dark enough for the neon strobe to show up. I might try first thing in the morn as the side of the house where the car port is will be in the shade.

There isn't much about Pietburg tuning in the B0fH; the Autodata book is a bit better. Pietburg is a really simple carburettor - apart from the cables and topping up the dashpot the only real adjustment is the slow running screw. The CO adjustment (which is I suppose the mixture screw) would have been set in the factory 40 years ago, I've noticed the emissions seal is missing though, so I'm wondering if someone has fiddled with it sometime? I'm curious because the car ticks-over with the slow running circuit adjustment screwed right in. I've checked all 3 cables.

I'm thinking of changing the two engine mounts - I had a look at them whilst the head was off and it looks like a pretty easy job (2 nuts each side) and cheap (£6/side). The mounts on the car now seem fine but I'm thinking the rubber might be 40 years old. What do you think, is this a job worth doing for just over a tenner?

What is wrong with ticking-over in neutral in traffic? I always put the car into neutral when stopped in traffic, just like on a manual.

Stay safe,

Alan
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote