Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:12   #1078
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Two thoughts - the standard mounts are pretty soft anyway, so don't be misled - the engine wobbles about anyway. Diesel mounts are firmer, I think.
Check that the rubber hasn't come unbonded.

The job isn't quite as easy as it seems, because the engine is mounted at a tilt and it's hard to find a safe jacking point that lets it balance without falling over.
It's hard to get the mounting holes to line up, especially if the gearbox mount is soft and it lets the engine shift backwards a bit.

My advice would be replace the gearbox mount first - it is crucial to engine location fore-and-aft, and straightforward. I found it much easier to unbolt the each bracket assembly from the engine block and the sub-frame, and then unbolt the rubber mounting on the bench. Fit the new block, bolt up to the engine, then lower the engine while guiding the 3 bolts down through the holes in the subframe. The block's flexibility gives a bit of leeway for levering the bolts to get alignment.

Only do one side at a time! Don't ask me about the nightmare of having a very heavy engine/gearbox lying on its side having fallen over in the engine compartment.
Good morn,

Thank you so much for that... exactly what I was after.

I'm not sure this job really needs doing, but I didn't think it would do any harm!

I'll put the car up on some ramps some time over the weekend and have a poke around with a pry bar.

Stay alert,

Alan

PS. Regarding jacking - I was thinking of rigging up a beam (maybe a piece of 4"x4" timber or similar) above the motor and securing it to the lift point on the thermostat housing - then hoisting it up. The 244's nice flat wings would make that quite easy (with a bit of padding). That would prevent the engine from falling. What do you think?

Last edited by Othen; May 23rd, 2020 at 08:17. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: