View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 13:35   #1
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Default Buying and transporting road fuel in cans

First grass cutting of the weekend... I've got a lot to do.

Day didn't get off to a good start when I got right dressing down from a jumped up little Tw*t behind the counter at the local petrol station.

Filled my pickup up with diesel and then a 20L metal UN jerry can and 2 x 5L black plastic approved cans (also with diesel).

The 5 x 5L petrol cans, 4 green and one red (which I use for 2T mix) - again approved cans and suitably marked.

This is when the sport started, I got "you people break the law and I'm sick of it...." "I could call the Police and have you arrested".

Does anyone know if and what act of parliament covers this and what it says?

You read in lots of places that you can have up to 20 litres of Petrol in approved metal containers and 10 litres in plastic. Some garages say they will only allow 2 containers per customer - but usually this is guidelines not law. I know that if you intend to keep more than 30 litres of petrol at home you need to register.

I'm not being silly, the containers are strapped down in the back of my pickup and as I've got circa 10 acres to do with a tractor and then 4 different petrol lawnmowers, then hedge cutters and strimmers, I'm going to use 50%-70% of this fuel this weekend.

When may mate used to have a jetski we used to frequently fill up with 60-80 litres (in metal jerry cans) on a Saturday morning and hit the beach until we ran out....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 13:39.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote