View Single Post
Old Jun 4th, 2002, 19:41   #1
Nigelb1

Default 360 GLE - Help & Info needed

Apologies in advance for long post.

My wife has just inherited a 1998 F plate 360 GLE - B200K engine - carburettor not injection. It has done 59000 miles and was previously owned by her Uncle. It has been standing for 9 months but after a bit of TLC was coaxed from where it was stored and driven back to our house.

Checking the car out this weekend I've found a couple of things which I can't find answers to in the manual - I'd be grateful for any help and advice.

1)The tailgate struts are shot as my head found out when the tailgate fell on me. I know it is possible to get replacements from other than Volvo, but the o/s rear one has what I can only describe as a large capacitor on it, attached to a spade connection. What is this for? Does it mean that I have to have the Volvo replacement strut for this side or can you take it off and put on the new replacement strut?

2) There is no power to any of the dashboard switches so for example putting on the heated rear window the switch does not light up. I've checked fuse five in the fusebox and this appears to be Ok. Are there any other fuses I should look for or any ideas what could be causing this?

3) The battery tray has been holding water and consequently has rusted a bit. It is still sound but what do people recommend to treat it with? It is a few years since I've done any rust prevention type work and am out of touch with the latest treatments. I was thinking of coats of Hamerite? What would others do please?

4) Lastly at what point do people say that it is not worth spendig money on a car and let it go to the great scrapyard in the sky? The interior of this car is immaculate but the body has had it's share of knocks and scratches. The bonnet has what will be a perforated hole in it on the leading edge soon I'm sure, and the n/s rear door is well on the way.
My original thought were that it would be a good basis to keep in good condition, but given the £ value of the car even in perfect condition am I wasting my time ( and money) on this model?

Again apologies for the long post - Thanks in advance for any replies. I am a VOC member as my other car is a 740 estate and I'm looking forward to the meet in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks

Nigel

Nigelb1 is offline   Reply With Quote