View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 17:58   #74
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
What have I done?

Walls, roofs...

And I just wanted to give example that in many cases, people are stuck in the past.

Be it these lime walls, tiled or leaded roofs...

Or be it driving.

And half the time there's no logic behind it.

In many cases I can't even think down the universal thumbrule: "something doesn't make sense? There's money involved. Follow money, it'll make sense".

Like that lime wall, indeed!
(That is unless your pastor is counting on another fool driving into that wall and providing good excuse to cash in on insurance. Such an expensive wall?)
It was not a local decision Thomas but a dictat from on high, or at least the Bishops office, which may as well be God as far as the vicar is concerned.
Admittedly the site has a 700 year history and David, patron saint of Wales was reputedly educated here, however the victorians were unhappy with the 600 year old church and demolished it to rebuild a splendid victoriana pile which better reflected their standing in the community and their wealth.
New oak beams to hold the lynch gate up were another £2000 expence. They had rotted where in contact with the ground.
My solution would of been to shorten them back to solid timber and make the distance up with a galvanised foot, but that was not traditional enough for the powers that be. We have a problem with the wrought iron latches on the gate , they have rusted against the wall and pushed out into the opening thus preventing the gate closing fully, similarly the hinges have rusted against the wood and are being forced off it. My solution as they are bespoke items is new in either stailess steel or galvanised steel and paint them black as the wrought iron ones are. Getting permition to do so is quite another matter.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: