Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Stop messing about...
Is that you mum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
...put your best efforts into getting the best finish in 72 that you can. It's quite a rare colour and will always stand out in a crowd. I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post
I agree, all that effort and work, then to end up with a battered looking bare metal finish with a quick spray of clear lacquer. Very disappointing.
I appreciate your opinions but I don't think you understand how nice this PV could look in bare metal.

First I think it is best to point out that going for a bare metal look (or the way I'm doing this) is not an easy way out. Any time saved in sanding filler is more than lost by the number of times I've been masking areas (!)

I realise that I might not like the end product and have to roll my sleeves back up and get busy with original 72 colour. For this reason I'm painting the inside and the parts of the underside in that colour just in case I need to get rid of the bare metal look.

I will have everything set up to just remove the removable body panels and repaint - the wheels can stay on - by comparison with what I'm doing now it'll be a doddle.

In practice this PV will be a three colour car => I've got chassis black on the underside for practical easy to repair reasons - I've got 72 fawn brown on the inside and parts of the underside like the wheel arches spare wheel hump and lower edges of the sills - and I've got "no colour" on top at the moment...

...trust me this is not being lazy.

#########

The pictures I've taken so far don't demonstrate how nice this car could look (in a delightfully dreadful way).

I'm not going for something like this =>

(See http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2013...etal-2000.html)

The body work on that charger is absolutely insane - anybody who has even done even a little bit of body work has got to appreciate how fantastically straight it is. But - and it is a big but - I don't like it on that vehicle shape. I reckon a bare metal look looks much better on something from the 1940s / 1950s (like the PV design) =>

(See https://auto.howstuffworks.com/bare-metal-hot-rods.htm)

Something a bit grungy can be nice - this for example =>

(See http://www.gibbsbrand.info/blog/cate...are-metal-car/)

Bit too glossy and too much muck under the clear coat for my liking but even so I kind of like it.

#########

So bear with me chaps! Or should I say "bare" with me... (?!)

If it all goes tits up and I don't like what I've done I've got a solution up my sleeve.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote