View Single Post
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 16:23   #12
Ern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The idea of a space saver is a get you home substitute, it’s clearly stated that you should not exceed 50mph (there is a usually a big sticker on the wheel) and drive in a way that avoids all but light throttle and braking.

They generally perform okay, the grip isn’t quit as reduced as you think as although the contact surface with the road is much smaller, the pressure (pounds per square inch) is proportionately higher so the grip level is higher than its appearance might suggest. However the stresses on the tyre are considerably greater and hence the speed limit - to prevent overheating and excess forces on the tyre. In normal use a space saver tyre would last only around 1000 miles.

There are two schools of thought as to whether you should use a space saver on the front or rear axle. On the front the wheels keep the car off the road, and push it along, do most of the braking, and all of the steering so putting the space saver to the rear where it just keeps the car off the road and does a little bit of braking seems a good idea as it will be under less stress and less likely to impact the normal driving of the car.

But... and this dovetails into the debate on whether you fit a pair of new tyres to the front or rear (which is documented in the manual) if the weaker tyre(s) are to the rear and you are doing your maximum 50 mph and have to make a emergency avoiding manoeuvre you are much more likely to end up facing the wrong way or in a hedge.

So if I had to make a choice I would put it on the front of the car and drive like Miss Daisy. But I think the bigger issue here is that the use of space savers should be thought of like towing - it’s a get you home with care option only, you should not assume you use the car normally with one. If you present your car for an MOT test with a space saver it will fail.
May I say what a good post Tannaton. I wrote to Volvo UK Technical when I bought out V70 in 2013 about this because the Volvo dealer supplying it could answer my question. Volvo said similar, but advised any axle and even towing trailer/caravan. I had specifically asked about Caravan. I was delighted, and still am.
Ern is offline   Reply With Quote