View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 11:21   #17
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post

We're looking for a 'new' car, perhaps 5 years old and loads of them with 40k miles have only been serviced once or twice in their lives this may satisfy the manfr's intervals but it doesn't satisfy my old fashioned mechanical sympathy.

My fear is a market full of quite expensive used cars but with lots of troubles ahead through lack of preventative maintenance.
These services are still not to the manufacturers intervals, as all state for example "10,000 service OR 1 year". This is what a lot of people forget. You NEED to service every year, not just when the mileage hits and people who dont understand general mecahnics dont service annualy.

I am also looking at a little run around potentially in the next few months pending the Mrs returning to work after maternity leave. The small Aygo's were a good bet, but also worth checking is the Mini one. good little car, but again buying 2nd hand is a minefield with correct servicing and well looked after.