View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 07:10   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Proper stuff from acshortt5 & Brickman. Tight, concise, informative. Well done. I can see it already, this will be a spanker of thread.

I for one did not think to look at my Aux / Serpentine belt. Already I can confrim, found mine in worse condition than my cambelt. Jeeezz. Golden [acshortt5 ] Thank you.

Door Stays Check strap wear
Usually it's the driver's door side that goes first. You get a popping noise as the door pings under the strain. A worn door stay will flex the door and eventually metal fatigue sets in and b*gg*rs the door pillar near the strap/stay. Catch it quick and it's a £20 for a new check-strap on eBlag and five minutes with a 10mm socket. Leave the door double 'popping' and clunking for too long and you'll need to weld it up, a hassle and soemthing you are forced to do to stop the door swinging, this wrecks the rust-proofing and the door pillar starts to rot. The welding means the heat has the door pillar lose it's ductility, goes brittle, so the weld breaks under the strain, and downhill from there.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...k-strap-repair

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=58287

Battery Hold-down Clamp
Numerous P80 cars lose these. Subsequent owners don't know they've got them missing. These clip / roll-over the end of your battery tray. Missing, battery looks (kind of) secure. Eventually the battery comes out of the tray and on the next RH bend, slides into the top transmission cooler lines (on autos) pushing the hose/ line off. ATF pumps everywhere but back into the box, box is trashed. Not many will put another box in a 20 year old car, car goes to the crusher for a peice of plastic sourced on eBlag for a fiver. Be sure you have yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Hold Down.jpg (8.3 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 07:45.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: