View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 03:39   #588
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Army;

Good update...thanks!

Regarding the bushing drift...it should be simple enough for a machine shop to make one up for you when you give them the important dimensions (ID of the bushing and a step which fits into ID of the forging (between the two ends!), but picks up the bushing edge)...
"it needs to be used from the outside of the steering spindle assembly - knocking the bushings inwards..."...not necessarily...if you insert stepped drift into the bushing from between the two (green arrows), support the forging just below the bushing to be removed, and with a beefy extension coming in through the other bushing, (you wouldn't be putting any undue forces on the forging)...first apply impact until you notice movement, then let the hydraulic press do the rest...I hope you can follow this explanation...if not, I can sketch up something...and BTW, the term you are looking for would be "alignment" (you'd have to apply some incredible forces to deform that forging...none the less, only apply as much force as necessary, and with proper support fixturing!)

You found ACZP...good on you!...you won't regret efforts to procure and use it!...it ain't failed me yet!!

Cheers
I should have explained in more detail. Looking at the photocopy of a FAX of a photocopy of a picture taken of the original picture in my workshop manual it looks to me like the original tool can't be used as you describe.

I will be supporting the outer edges as you describe when trying plan B.

I could indeed go to my local friendly machine shop and try to drag them away from their cups of coffee to get them to turn down a bit of stock for me - unfortunately that'll cost at least 80 euros before sales tax at 21%. This could "turn" (pun intended!) into a big old whinge but labour costs here in Holland make me want to spit. I really need to set up my own lathe. I did buy a cheap little hobby thing but I think I went too cheap as it is now in parts awaiting my attention...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote