View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 23:36   #16
osullivant

Just to update.

Since I did the PCV (preceeded by the rings and new turbo) and followed by the liqui molly DPF clean, I have covered thousands of miles both inner city driving and many trips to the beach 20 miles or so together with a dozen or so trips of over 300mls per day.

Many of my trips involved drawing a heavy trailer (2.5t)

I have not used a drop of oil, not had a fault light connected to the engine.

Having considered things at length I think the pcv was the issue, or at least a major part, one of the issues that I was not able to understand was the presence of unburnt oil in the DPF, but I think I know the cause.

I think the PCV valve goes faulty so that the spigot to which it connects via the pipe over the top of the engine, being too near the turbo, creates a vacuum, drawing oil filled air up out of the sump through the PCV pipe/ casing, this is then fired into the cylinders and burned, but dependant on the demands of the engine the D5 does not always inject fuel on every stroke on each injector, so that at times the oil filled air simply passes through chambers and onwards into the DPF.

Bottom line is that doing the rings is a relatively easy job and much easier and cheaper than a new turbo,

I really would like to know what improvement a new pcv valve would make on its own.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote