View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2018, 15:52   #510
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Still flopping about not getting very far...

...today I wasted ages trying to get the trim fitted to the front windscreen seal before fitting it to the car.

Waste of time - the seal I have is far too flexible and keeps on popping off the windscreen when the trim gets stuffed into its groove.

So the front screen is partially fitted to the car - just to give me the idea of progress. I'm going to have to get someone to help me fit the trims on both of these windscreens - perhaps - (oh the shame) I'll even have to pay someone to fit it for me!

#######

In other news - I have spent ages trying to find the steering box bearings and have not been lucky at all.

So I decided to change the bearings themselves with in the race.

Having tried to do this before (and potentially learned a lesson) I thought it was best to use some positive fixing aid so I cut a hole in a scrap bit of plywood...

...I had visions of using a thin parallel pin punch to distort the crimped parts of the cage but ended up having to use a flat bladed screwdriver ("not the right tool for the job" was ringing in my ears) because I needed to get access under the ball bearings - right in there - to distort the cage.

Now the bearings are out of their cages I've been able to measure them and have found - surprise surprise - they are imperial sized balls in an otherwise metric steering box.

(Not uncommon but nevertheless a bit irritating)

I'm 99% sure these ball bearings are 5/16"
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote