View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 17:54   #5
steve0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Did you replace the main vehicle battery or the alarm siren backup battery (internal, inside the siren)?

The backup batteries inside the siren fail after a number of years, the cure is to replace the battery or replace the siren - mounted inside the front right wheel well, need to remove wheel and wheel well cover to access the siren.

However the occurance of other issues at the same time point to possible CEM water ingress and corrosion damage, caused mainly by leaking sunroof drains.
Does your car have a sunroof?
Is the carpet wet / damp in the front? Check left and right sides. If damp / wet, then suspect a sunroof drain blockage and leak. Lots of info here on this forum on how to test, identify and correct leaking drains.

The CEM, if affected, will need repair or replacement. Repair by the guy in London is much cheaper than replacement.
To determine CEM state, remove and inspect for any signs whatsoever of water damage. Look for water marks and corrosion. It should be bone dry and maybe dusty, must show no signs of water stains whatsoever.
Thank you for all help so far.

To answer some questions -

It is the main vehicle battery that has been replaced, my XC90 does not have a sunroof and all carpets are dry.

Update -

Reconnected the battery today and all seems once again to be fine and the key fob is again working. I am still keen to receive any further help and advise as i am sure this will happen again.

Regarding my Alarm issue can someone please clarify -

My alarm like many other XC90 owners occasionally goes off for no apparent reason. When this happens it is my horn siren that sounds and hazard lights flash.

As a short term fix i have been removing the horn fuse when not driving the car. This has worked well up until yesterday and on the odd occasion when the alarm is set off just the hazards have flashed which is no big deal.

Yesterday hazards were flashing continuously, key fob did not work and when i opened the door a completely new siren was sounding not the horn sirens which were still disconnected by the fuse.

Can anyone explain exactly how the alarm system works regarding horns/sirens and what the siren was that i heard yesterday if it is not the horn that usually sounds when the alarm is set off.

Cheers, all help much appreciated.
steve0 is offline   Reply With Quote