View Single Post
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 12:02   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Definitive Answer Please Pre-2000 AWD issues

I've found a genuine 65,000 mile AWD 1998 V70XC.

Now I'm drawn more to the 65K than the AWD, but of course AWD is schnice 3-4 days a year. But I can live without it.

My exisitng V70 has 300K on it and will give up at some point. 65K and AWD seems too good to be true, but 65K really is genuine.

I have to face the fact, on my miles, not 'if' but 'when', it will go. So prop-shaft removed am I OK?

I understand 'when' the AWD does go, and I my searching says it'll be old perished and decayed rubbers, not just wear or tyre-wear etc etc that kill these, all I need do is remove a prop-shaft to be in effect in hte same position as any FWD car. And that sounds to be an hour's work and no real hassle.

Is there any other price to pay in doing this? Is it really that simple? eg: I am aware the shox on these are Nivomat unique to the AWD variants, rare and mega-pricey. The FWD Nivomat are already plenty pricey and rare enough! So there sits one penalty. In short are there any others to hit me, over and above its FWD brethren. eg: Is it noisier etc etc removed?

This if I do the galactic miles I'm used to doing?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 1st, 2017 at 12:23.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote