View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 07:03   #20
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Chris,

Otherwise- does your son want to learn to weld? If so working on the car could be a perfect opportunity. Although it’ll depend on whether you have the space for it etc.

I recommend you encourage him to set up a thread here in the project cars section and also on the retrorides website- project threads are an easy way to keep interest up as people comment on them and offer encouragement etc.

Cheers
Now this would be a really good idea for Chris's son. If I remember correctly he has just turned 17 and so is probably still at school or college. When it comes to applying for work (particularly apprenticeships) employers really like evidence of projects outside of school. A thread (or even better a blog) here could be printed into a portfolio of evidence for Chris's son. Include some photos and lots of words.

Learning to weld would be a good skill. A lower end MIG welder is ideal for the thin metal on a car - and it is certainly a skill Chris's son will need a few times with an older Volvo (I found a little hole just in front on the driver's rear wheel arch the other day, some previous owner had put some filler over it (maybe 10 years ago...). I'll clean it up, make a repair patch and weld it it when it stops raining).

Good fortune, time for Bob's first walk.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: