Thread: Handbrake Woes!
View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:44   #25
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Dont know if youve seen this thread on a very similar theme..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108059

I think its well worth applying the handbrake when rolling at a slow speed to allow some friction and perhaps remove any rust buildup on the inside of the drum, when you think about it the inner 'drum' brakes are unlike say a car that might only have a drum brake on the rear where the shoes are actually used for braking. On a S60/V70 this would never get any friction between the shoes and drum if you only used it when stationary (as im sure most people do).

I could imagine there could possibly be a fair build up of rust on the inner drum surface. Certainly the cold and damp conditions would all add to this - only my theory has anyone else found similar ?
Yes i agree and this practice is even mentioned in the Haynes manual under the section for adjusting the handbrake.

I think that if you were to LIGHTLY pull on the handbrake at VERY slow speed for a SHORT distance once or twice a month , the internals would probably benefit.

I intend to do this now that i have fitted new handbrake shoes and got everything adjusted properly.

Darryl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: