View Single Post
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 21:22   #14
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chf View Post
Still would like to understand what the swirl actuator is and does.
when my swirl throttle link broke - i managed to find out....

New components and functions
Swirl throttle
• Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) control is used to an even greater extent compared with previously in
order to comply with the emission requirements of EURO 4 with regard to nitrogen oxide emissions,
NOx etc.
• One set of the cylinder head's inlet ports, the tangential ducts, are equipped with a shutter, a so-called
"swirl throttle", in order to improve the combustion process during exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)
control.
• By closing the throttle the flow of air through the swirl ducts increases, which increases the swirl
formation in the cylinder. This improves the mixture of air and fuel. In this way the emissions from the
cylinder are reduced.
• The throttles are closed during idling and then open steplessly up to an engine speed of approx.
3000 rpm. At an engine speed above 3000 rpm the throttles are open.
• The position of the throttles is regulated by a direct current motor. The motor is controlled by the ECM
by means of a PWM signal.
In order that the ECM shall know the position of the throttles and to be able to compensate for any wear
in the internal components the throttle motor is run to its mechanical stops (open/closed position) at each
5th ignition switch-off. (The function is in the ECM and may be modified for start of production).

VCC, Dept. 50040, NCF 0520, Technical Presentation 2005, March, version

I agree that you would expect a premium brand to be backed up with a premium aftercare service for when things go wrong.

if car warranties are like any other insurance, you should be covered by the financial services ombudsman. put a written complaint in, the insurance company has to provide a final response, which if you are unhappy with, you can appeal to the ombudsman - i think that each case that goes to them costs the company involved a few hundred pounds, if they are found against. this is assuming that they can prove that it was not covered in the first place.

bet if you go in on a saturday morning saying what a load of rubbish their warranty is, quite loudly, and want to know who to complain to, they may change their mind...
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post: