View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:17   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
You mean reverse, I presume? Yes, if you keep your foot away from the accelerator it will allow max 7 km/h backwards and 10 km/h when going the normal way.
It will apply the brakes with the ABS system active. Thus in reality it will brake each wheel as much as it can take, if the speed is increasing.
With the speed increasing it tries to brake the wheel, wheel locks, brake releases and repeat, meanwhile speed is increasing.
With low ratio gearbox wheels are always turning even if sliping over the surface and speed in 1st gear is slow walk so always able to steer, even if into the bank to stop you.

My old technology disco 1 will come down a steep wet grass slope with no drama while more modern stuff is locking releasing locking wheels with the abs based hill descent, some of the skid marks are 4 foot long, especially where the driver bottles it and has their foot on the pedal.

I do not say hill decent cannot be a valuable aid but aid it is and I would rather my low ratio box and gears to keep speed to slow walk than an on off braking system. It's the interaction between the tyre contact patch and surface that gives control, the fewer variables the better in my view.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote