View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 15:49   #8
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If memory serves correctly, there's no need at all to alter the supply, even with a ballasted system, when converting to Accuspark electronic ignition.

Nothing wrong with Pigeons circuit but almost certainly not needed - check with Accuspark that they have a module suitable for a ballasted system though in case i'm speaking out of turn.

Bosch distributors are notorious for closing the points gap despite proper and careful initial setting. Don't forget a smear of high melting point grease on the cam lobes of the shaft to prevent premature wear on the points heel and once you've set the points to where they should be, check the stroboscopic timing and adjust if necessary.

If you want an unobtrusive conversion, it should be possible to find an electronic ignition set up from a later 240/early 740 with the dizzy mounted on the block (as opposed to the rear end of the camshaft) and convert it that way.

Maybe not as cheap as the Accuspark but would be Volvo branded bits throughout.
I tried to swap the 240 gubbins into an Amazon distributor, without success.
A shame because it works brilliantly on the later cars.
Maybe ,if you had suitable engineering connections, it would be possible.
The Accuspark sets I've tried work well on both of our other old classics (Essex V6 and BMC C series), no doubt their Amazon one would too.
I gave up and kept it on points!
And, yes, they can be a bit fiddly, but the twiddle factor is part of running an old car.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post: