View Single Post
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 07:42   #4
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustari View Post
Between here and Swedespeed I've seen 10 to 15 people saying they have been affected but still a relatively small sample size of the overall owners.

Will keep researching to try understand when it typically occurs and how common it is.
Well, in fact you have no idea how relatively big the sample is. Is it 10-15 problems from overall 100 T8 forum members? Then it is pretty bad. But maybe it is 85 regular T8 forum members without any problem and those 15 came just to report the problem and search for solution. Then it does not look that bad. But there might be thousands more who just do not report on forum. Again, it looks worse now....etc.

I guess (might be wrong) you want to quote a probability that this happens to you in future, hoping the number will be rather low and you will accept the risk. And most likely it is low (I do not think 50% of all T8 suffer this). But I think it is a wrong approach, given you will never find out that magic number (only Volvo knows and they will not tell you). So rather try to find out how much it would cost you to fix it and then decide if you can bear it, should it happen to you. Because regardless of how likely it is, those ERAD problems are real and not extremely rare (anything can go wrong with any car but some problems are rare, some more regular and this one is unfortunately regular, although still a small fraction of users are affected I would say). So just assume it WILL happen to you - can you then live with the cost of repair? If not, get a different car.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote