View Single Post
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 13:58   #7
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartggray View Post
Well, looks like my ETM has packed in. Wouldn't run yesterday morning when I went to work. It was running fine the night before, it came home from work (15 miles), stopped at the house, went to Asda and back half an hour later, still no issue.
First thing I did was check the plugs because I knew they were old and it appeared to be misfiring at tick over, which was slightly raised (1100 rpm)
One plug actually had a bit of insulator missing so I thought that was it. Nipped down to the local factor in limp home mode with the car lit up like a Christmas tree, and more messages in the DIM than I get on my phone. Replaced them there, no change. Limped home (only half a mile)
Anyway, I PM'ed my local hero with a Vida setup, who came across the Forth Road Bridge in the most atrocious conditions (take a bow Yosser!)
Vida showed some errors relating to the ETM, but nothing definite. It did show that the ETM had to be software upgraded to do the test on Vida.
Crucially, Vida showed no misfire problems on the coil packs or any other problem apart from the ETM. The misfire noise was from the way the car controls the tickover in reduced power mode by cutting the injectors giving a staccato effect. This info was from Vida!
I pulled the ETM and had a look, it had the white sticker and with Vida saying it needed updated, more or less confirms the problem!
It is now on its way to Spokoluzic of this parish who confirmed it did not need updated by Volvo before being treated to a new contactless TPS.
My local Volvo garage (15 miles away) wanted just over £100 to update the software with no guarantee it would work and to consider replacing the old white sticker one with a new unit for an eyewatering £500.
I promised Yosser I would update when my ETM comes back, so I will. It's always nice to see how it panned out.
Hi so does that Vida tool actually tell you which ETM's require replacement or have been replaced? I have a yellow sticker and all the numbers off the sticker. Can you tell me if mine has been replaced?
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote