View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 17:00   #15
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Chris,

My understanding is that the carburettor engines have flat topped pistons (lower compression), and are all safe. The fuel injection engines have domed pistons and are interference. This is only what I've read, I've never had a fuel injected Volvo; someone much more knowledgeable than I (like Loki or LS) will know the answer.

To be candid, this is a pretty simple engine: SOHC and just 8 valves, there is no reason to get this wrong. Take your time, check everything and it should be fine.

Alan
Not quite.

Vast majority of engines are non-interference. There is one engine spec with a heron head and domed pistons, that’s interference - identifiable as the cylinder head number ends 631.

If a cylinderhead has been removed and skimmed (to make it flat again) more than once it’s possible that will have made the engine interference when it wasn’t previously.

Cambelt replacement- not difficult, just take your time and spin the engine over a couple of times by hand to make sure the marks line up again and you’ll be fine.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: