View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 09:54   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatD View Post
While waiting at the traffic lights in hot weather with aircon on I heard a loud pop then the whole car started shaking. While looking for a place to pull over (it was a busy street) I saw my coolant temperature gauge dangerously rising and looking through the side window I saw a big puddle on the floor which I then realised was my coolant.

Long story short, 2 spokes of the radiator fan broke from the inner hub. While rotating and pulling air, the broken blades the got sucked towards the radiator, scraping it badly and causing a massive leak which caused near instant loss of the majority of the coolant. I needed towing because as much water I poured in came instantly out through the holes. Still not sure about possible engine damage from overheating, I'm still waiting for parts. Reluctant to fit a used fan, but Volvo wants 190 EUR just for the fan blade without motor.

After close inspection I found out that all the fan blades are cracked where they attach to the inner hub. 2 of them broke off. So check your fan for cracking at the inner hub.

Pics attached.
fitting a second hand fan assembly is the way to go , something unique has happened to yours to make it break , maybe it was in a previous accident and the radiator got pushed into the fan and it was re-used . I have never heard of this happening before in my experience with 1000's of these cars from 1996 to 2004 when they ceased production and beyond to date ..