Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 13:42   #1702
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Alan: ~
Another forum post exists regarding the rear box & rust etc. - it just involved drilling a small drain hole in the box – central and just enough to allow condensation out. The middle box is also reasonable priced.
Should your car be fitted with the “S” shape tail pipe? Rather than the 90 degree bend-I found this type initially made a lot of condensation on the rear screen so went back to the snake!
Regards Bob
Thank you Bob,

I'll try to find that thread - it has never made sense to me to have such a condensation trap in the back box - which probably doesn't get hot enough to boil off the water vapour if the car is used for short journeys (as I suspect the RB may have been - 108,000 miles in 40 years). Many manufacturers seem to design the back box like that though; do you think having a hole (however deliberately placed) in the exhaust would be legal (not that the RB is liable for MoT tests any more)?

I'll see what sort of tailpipe the new back box comes with. If it is the S type I'll certainly try that out first. As Dave suggests I'll hang on to the L shaped one (with the twin tail attached) - access under the back of the 244 is so good it would only take 10 minutes to swap them at some time later to compare them.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: