View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 17:58   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsandy View Post
My only concern is you saying the battery in the boot? Is this a different battery than the main engine battery? I don't have VOC.
The battery in the engine bay is the stop/start support battery. Do not disconnect it. The main battery is in the boot. Not sure what car you have but here's a guide I posted previously for an XC90.
If you have a D5 or T6 (uncertain about a T8, see below) and you're feeling brave you can force a reboot of the car by disconnecting the battery in the boot for ~5 mins.

The battery is located behind the left side trim panel in the boot and you'll need a 10mm spanner. Ensure that the ignition is switched off and the key is away from the car. You must disconnect the negative terminal first and move it away from the battery terminal. Some have reported that this is sufficient to cause the reboot after a few mins of disconnection whilst others have said you must also remove the positive connection (perhaps this is for the T8 which also has a feed from the drive battery?). The battery connector can be easily broken by applying too much force to the wrong part of it so needs to be done carefully. Do not allow the spanner to touch the car body whilst in contact with the battery terminal. Reconnect in reverse order; i.e. negative terminal last. Give the car a couple of minutes to settle down before starting.

Personally, I'd only attempt this if really necessary otherwise wait and see if it corrects itself or take it to a dealer. There's always the chance that rebooting the whole car like this will cause an issue with some other system although I don't recall anyone reporting any other issues after doing their own reboot.