View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 16:34   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
Carnauba Wax
makes it easier to shine the car. Lovely.
Seems to be in almost every product these days, I suspect in tiny quantity, just enough for it to be legal to put it on the label.
BUT theres a downside. It comes from palm oil, widely critised for wholesale destruction of rainforest. Perhaps y dont care about a few orangutangs and indigenous tribes. You will care when theres not enough air to breathe.
I say - dont buy it.
Use some noxious chemical brew withour palm products instead.
Equally, dont buy foods with palm oil in, stick to real food and lose some lard.
They don't put palm oil in food for fun; nor does pretty much every chip shop I've been into use it for fun - it's because some recipes require a fat that's solid at room temperature. Lard and animal fats were used originally - which were replaced by hydrogenated vegetable oil - which was then replaced by palm oil. Not all palm oil comes from unsustainable sources. There is significant pressure on food companies to use certified sustainable palm oil either from segregated sources or on a mass balance basis. The problem many food businesses used to face when they first tried to switch to CSPO (certified sustainable palm oil) is that nobody was prepared to process CSPO to fractionate it. I think that's changed over the past three or four years.

Palm oil is also used in cosmetics, soap, detergents, animal feed etc etc.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote