View Single Post
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 08:33   #46
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I've run the daily driver, a Mondeo 1.6 diesel estate, on Sainsbury's own-label diesel and found that:
a) the pump cuts off before the tank is full; Fomoco advise no more than 2 "clicks" to brimming. This left the gauge approximately a gallon short of full.
b) the average fuel consumption display, after being zero-ed on fill-up, suggested 47mpg with a mix of 50:50 Sainsbury's/BP diesel.
c) the estimated range to empty was 700 miles.
After refuelling with BP diesel:
a) the second "click" results in the gauge reading full;
b) the average fuel consumption display suggests 50.something mpg, again after being zero-ed on fill-up.
c)the estimated range to empty is 760 miles.
My driving is over a pretty well identical route 5 days a week.
Previously, on BP the range was around 800 miles tankful-to-tankful.
I don't have a Shell garage on my commute, and the only other supermarket petrol stations all require a detour or setting off early to use.
Interestingly, the range to empty has now increased to 815 miles, suggesting that the Mondeo has a greater liking for the Sainsbury's stuff - a 14% change is substantial. Assuming that the Sainsbury's fill-up was 2 gallons low this would be reasonable but I suspect that it is only about a gallon low so the change is around 7%, compared to a price difference of 4%.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: