View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 20:45   #3
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
LPG needs a stronger spark than petrol so any weaknesses in the ignition system will be more apparent when running on gas. Volvo branded spark plugs seem to be more suited to their engines that other brands (based on what I've read on the forum) and usually when using standard plugs, the advice is to reduce the gap by 0.1mm.

Worth also getting LPG system serviced and possibly retuned. I can only comment on BRC and Prins systems that I've got, but sometimes you need the technician to tune the system via the laptop while car is being driven to get it to run seamlessly. I'd previously had my BRC system setup 'perfectly' on the emissions analyser but when trying to drive the vehicle, it wouldn't pull the skin off custard, but a 20 minute blast round the countryside with the chap updating the mapping in the ECU returned it to full performance.
Yeah if your ignition has a problem LPG will find it.

I fixed it today actually. I did a few things so I can't say for sure what the fix was but I'm pretty sure it was a bad Lpi injector.

It now pulls strong on Petrol and LPG

What I have done in summary:

replaced all plugs with Bosch plugs

replaced coil on offending cylinder (twice).

Today I replaced the brand new Bosch spark plug with a genuine Volvo USED part. Just on that cylinder. I also replaced the LPi injector on the offending cylinder and shuffled the coil packs around as I read about the inaccuracy of the specific cylinder being identified as culprit for missfire.

Took the car out and it ran better than ever. Fantastic.
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote