View Single Post
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 12:52   #9
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I don't think you can fit the proper thermostat upside down. The by-pass plunger would clash with the top housing. It must be the correct type. An off the shelf one may fit and work to some degree but it should have the by-pass plunger to allow better warm up and control of the coolant in the block. Don't forget that you have to have the heater valve open, full heat, when you refill and run the car in order to get rid of trapped air in the matrix. That is higher than the rad so there can be an advantage to have the front of the car raised. Run it hot with thermostat open for 10 minutes, giving a burst of revs now and then. Top up so the level is about an inch below the top of the top rad tank. Replace cap, that may be the reason you are having coolant loss out of the pipe. Cap must have a good seal and be the correct length. Although it won't work like the bottle system you could run a length of tube to a catch bottle to see how much you might be losing.
Some will say that the system is self bleeding. I'd say that they are lucky and some are not.
It is a new cap from Simon so don't have any fears there but I didn't open the heater valve to hot so will check that too. Thanks Derek
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote