View Single Post
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 17:56   #10
gothamus

Default Hunting Heat

I have the same problem and haven't resolved it yet. The only thing I am enjoying about winter right now is I can drive my Amazon without overheating! Scary to see that boiling coolant in the overflow bottle. Maybe something in my efforts will help.

I've flushed the engine several times. I used one of those plastic plumbing clearing tools you can get from the hardware store. I reached it in from the rear of the block while using a hose to flush.

I’ve swapped the thermostat for one that is lower in temperature which helped a little. Mainly giving me more time before I hit the top of the gauge.

I have 2 infrared thermometers that I use to measure the engine temp from rear to front, checking near spark plugs. This was another way to verify the accuracy of the gauge and see the difference in temperature through out the engine.

Timing advance can have an impact. Playing with that didn’t make a difference for me.

I have an electric fan with a manual on/off switch so if I am sitting in traffic I can keep air flowing. Then turn off when I am moving again. Driving, faster the better, quickly drops the temp. The flow is good from the heater matrix and that is right by the gauge sensor.

The worst and most disastrous over heating occurred when I stopped after some hours on the highway, leaving the engine running without turning on the fan. Now I have new hoses, new thermostat housing and new washers all around. However my newly reconditioned radiator is leaking in several spots. I am waiting on a new aluminum rad. Previous owner had one installed and that worked very well at cooling. New York gets too hot in summer for a Swedish car.

I am also installing a new water pump. And then pulling the pipe that runs along the inside of the head on the spark plug side. You have to have the radiator out to do that. Sw-em.com has a good write up on that pipe with a modification suggestion. And a comprehensive write-up on the cooling system. (thanks Ron!)

I feel I am forgetting something. Any of these things might help. Good Luck with the hunt!
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gothamus For This Useful Post: