View Single Post
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 04:48   #42
blueosprey90
Master Member

Finished painting the steering wheel with gloss black paint a few weeks ago.

On my "rust stabilization" project, I have the passenger side floor pans almost completed from the inside. Three coats of POR 15, plus a coat of POR primer. Then a topcoat of an inexpensive tractor white. I'll recoat once more. Applied everything with disposable brushes. The white is "too white", the finish has blemishes, but it is all far less depressing than the mishmash I started with. I'm assuming it will all be covered with sound deadening material and carpet.

I still haven't decided what to do on the driver's side. So, instead of making a decision, I'm trying to remove the pedals from the toe board. I have the clutch pedal removed and as some of the parts are severely worn, it is obvious that I'll need to try to weld some metal back and reform these parts. That means that I'll need to finally get the welder out of the basement and try to learn to use it. If all goes well, perhaps I'll decide to cut out and replace the worst sections of floor under the driver's feet.

Not sure how to remove the brake pedal or the gas pedal. Removal from the bottom does not look especially feasible. I'll have to move a large box holding the remains of the carpets from the top of the motor and see if I can go in from the top.

Slow going, and I'm thinking of draining the gas tank.

Working mostly at night from about 8:00 to 10:30.

Also working on the MGA race car in the meantime. Had to swap in a 4:55 differential for races at Thompson last weekend. Now need to swap it out for the next event. Bought a 1622 race prepped short block that needs to be "refreshed" and a close ration transmission. Of course, I had to open both of them up. The engine is so-so. The transmission is another story.

And then, I suppose the biggest news is that my ghost main custom MGA crankshaft has arrive from Marine Crankshaft. Photos of a stock crank and the new ghost main are attached. In addition to the ghost mains, I had the crankshaft made with an MGB style flywheel flange. I just hope it will fit in my block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Crankshaft 2.JPG (122.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg New Crankshaft 1.JPG (125.8 KB, 10 views)
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote